May 5, 2012

The Voice

I hate these TV programs. I always feel that they dumb down the profession. Anyhow, this time I had to watch it because the fact that the judges listened to the competitors with their backs toward them changed everything.  It was also interesting to get a feel as the competition went on of what they were actually looking for.
I got quite upset when in the first episodes they excluded people who were very mature vocally and had real star qualities. That is when I suddenly understood, thanks to Seal and Keith, that they are looking for potential and whom they individually capable of helping and mentoring.
Firstly, I need to say how much I liked that the program decided to hit a positive tone. The Voice easily could have gone with the usual nasty judges style and 'kill' many talented, young people who put themselves on the line in front of millions of viewers. Judge Seal comes across like a big, wise, black papa with his words weighing gold and every comment, even the tough ones coated with chocolate and kindness. The other judge whom I love and respect dearly is Keith Urban, whom I think is one of the nicest guys in the profession. Did I mention he is hot, hot hot? By the way. He is not the only one that is hot. I saw a posting on Facebook about Seal and I must agree. In a very unusual and masculine way, the ugly turned beautiful. He is sexy.
OK. Back to the competitors. The Voice. It proved what I knew through my own many decades of experience in the professional music arena. However, it is especially true for those in the performing arts. Let me use the same quote I used as the motto of my blog up on the top of this page by Stevie Wonder. “A lot of people say you need drive to realize your talent but the truth is, your talent is your drive.” Many competitors like the idea of fame and singing but will be not driven enough to make it.  Even when an incredible opportunity comes their way like The Voice. They don't have enough talent to shine through.  And many of them will shy away from the hard that that will be required to get to the top and stay in this profession. Real musicians breath music. It is like oxygen for them. They can't live without it. We can't live without it.  I definitely can't live without it! Music is not a job or work. Music is a lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Bartok, the Concerto and his Leukemia

I am reading a fascinating book by Hungarian-born Canadian author, speaker, and retired physician with a special interest in childhood deve...

Fibonacci