Apr 25, 2016

The value of migrants - ANZAC DAY 2016

I was listening to the radio this morning. It is ANZAC Day today. Anzac Day, 25 April, is one of Australia’s most important national occasions.

It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.

It was Jon Faine from 774 ABC Melbourne broadcasting from the Shrine of Remembrance. ANZAC Day is my favourite Australian public holiday. 


During my first seven years working at the ANU in Canberra in ACT,  I spent every ANZAC Day singing at the War Memorial and watching the march from the front seat with my friends. What a view we had! From the elevated War Memorial we could see all the people walking and marching on the Avenue with a an incredible backdrop of Lake Burley Griffin and the Old and New Parliament House on the other side of the lake! 

We knew all the songs and had chance to get to know the local heroes and their stories. Then when I became the Music Director of the Canberra Choral Society of more than hundred singers, suddenly dawned on me, what an honour is to be leading the choir and performing those songs that mean a lot this way or that way to every Australian with the Duntroon Military Band. I fondly remember these performances and how after singing a group of us went to have a meal or a cup of coffee together or changed into bush walking gear and had a fabulous day in the bush!

This year there was an alternate march held in Melbourne as a protest against RSL rule change. The group is frustrated with Returned Services League (RSL) rules brought in last year, that do not allow them to walk with their ancestors' banners in the march. Instead, the banners are carried by single representatives at the head of the parade, while the descendants walk together at the rear without the battalion markers. Only World War I descendants are affected by the rules. Denise Mears, whose grandfather was in the 39th Battalion, said the banner had enormous importance for her. "It's not that the descendants are trying to take the place or get any accolades ... we know we weren't at the war," she said. "But it's just to keep the tradition going." It really shows how much the young generation, relatives of the heroes, want to be part of the march and carry the torch.

There was another interesting aspect of ANZAC Day that I heard about in the radio. It was first time that a Chinese group took part in Melbourne's Anzac Day march. More than 40 relatives of Chinese soldiers who fought the Japanese in World War II walked behind their banner to the Shrine.

Ms Xue, 60, said her late father, Xiao Ping, suffered chronic pain for decades after sustaining bullet wounds to his back in the battle for FoMiaoLing​ village in Shanxi province in September 1941.
Mr Xiao was among 2000 Chinese soldiers who faced 10,000 Japanese in the the battle. With 500 colleagues dead or missing, he was shot in the back and crawled for more than one kilometre for help.  She said marching in Melbourne would help her son, Joe Wei, 32, and her granddaughter, Isabelle, 21 months, to know about Mr Xiao's story and honour him, and educate local young Chinese.
One of the group's organisers, Qifang​ Wang, of Notting Hill, migrated to Australia 28 years ago.
She said she would often watch the Anzac Day march on TV and her children would learn Anzac stories about Europe or south-east Asia at school. The Chinese experience in fighting the Japanese invasion was never mentioned. "It really bothered me," she said.

Hearing these stories and the Chinese being represented at ANZAC Day made me ponder about migrants, assimilation and our recent problems with new migrants.

The Chinese have been part of Australia for a long time. As I heard from Australians, from time to time there were problems with Chinese not assimilating and not speaking English. These are still issues in the community. However, the Chinese community is highly regarded as part of Australian society. How did they achieve this? By working hard. As Chinese do. By becoming a valuable, member of the Australian culture. By contributing to the economy. By being a decent citizen. By building a life as part of the community that meets the Australian standards. 

I remember, how important it was for me to represent my home country the best I can here in Australia. My contribution was and is mostly through my profession, music and teaching. Introducing Australians to Hungarian and other European music that I was fortunate enough to study, perform and many times buy and bring music scores to Australia that were rare or never performed. Enriching the culture, making it more colourful by adding my "Hungarian touch". By representing the world famous Kodaly music teaching method and teaching it here. By being a decent person, a valuable citizen and trying to fit in by standing out and standing out by fitting in. 

On the other hand, I was introduced to music, history, literature, nature and people and even to food and many other things that otherwise I would have never encountered. I became richer, more open, more accepting, a more colourful and interesting person than I would have never become if I stayed in Europe. And yes, many time I said or did the wrong things, too. Luckily, only on a minor scale....And there were times when I felt embarrassed by my Hungarian fellow citizens and did not want others know that I was Hungarian too....

The problem with many of the recent incidents is that no country wants trouble makers, no country wants lazy, uneducated citizens who will live on the doll. No country wants people who don't want to fit in, don't value the opportunities and what this new country has to offer. And definitely no country wants migrants who try to harm others. 

The responsibility has to be shared by many that this does not happen. Obviously, people need to be screened more and more carefully, considering the present hot climate. Then all the services need to be in place to accept and welcome new comers. I know.... many of my migrants friends would protest here and could tell their stories that when they arrived they got nothing and they had to figure out everything, learn the language, get an accommodation, find a job, work hard and create a life. However, times change...Migration becomes easier and things like language courses are offered, accommodation provided and jobs are readily available for some. Migration, even under these much better circumstances, are still not easy. 

The responsibility and the role of the already existing same nationality community is tremendous. I can't even imagine how much easier it must be when you have people around you who speak the same language, help you and give you advice and you can make friends with them. The support network makes life so much easier. 

I did not have that. But exactly that made me more resilient and assimilate better. I had to learn and speak English as quickly as I could to stay in my lecturing position. I had to make friends and figure out everything myself not to drawn. The pressure and the stress was tremendous. However, I was so busy staying alive and to cope that I did not have the time, the energy and could not contemplate blowing up a bomb or plot a terror act. I was too busy creating a life for myself in this country. I did not even know if I will be staying here or not. If I will like it to stay or not. 

A group, like the Chinese migrants or Italian migrants or even the much smaller Hungarian community create their reputation they have by living, breathing, acting, contributing here in Australia. I believe that all different nationality groups deserve the reputation they have. Because it is by their members acts that this reputation is built and deserved. By creating better communities we can influence people and the young generation. It takes time and takes patience. 

The presence of the Chinese group at this year's ANZAC Day march took a long time to manifest. It shows that they not only looked back at history and examined their contribution to China but they also feel being part of the Australian community and history. This is a big step forward. Every group has its own evolutionary time. This is how Australia grows and evolves. 

Lest remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Bartok, the Concerto and his Leukemia

I am reading a fascinating book by Hungarian-born Canadian author, speaker, and retired physician with a special interest in childhood deve...

Fibonacci