Jul 31, 2016

Fluffy Hungarian Apple Poppy Seed Cake - quick & easy!

You know those Sundays when you feel like baking something but you don't want to labour in the kitchen all day? You feel like something yummy to have with your cup of tea or coffee?
Poppy seed is my BIG favourite! Hungarians LOVE poppy seeds and they make some incredible cakes, strudels and pasta with poppy seeds!

This is one of my favourite recipes because it's quick and easy and the cake is fluffy and delicious!
When I made this the first time, it brought back memories of my family, baking with my Mum, dad watching sports on the TV and beating the egg whites for mum to help with the cake! Precious and fun times!

Today when I prepared this recipe again, I decided to use my doTerra essential oils so I included how to replace lemon with oils! These oils have become my best friends for many reasons. It's easy to place a drop on my wrist a few times during the day and taking supplements done! Tick! I love putting some in my water! Immune system protection and weight loss management done! Tick! I love smelling them! Little pleasures of the day, tick! They make me feel good. Mood enhancement, tick! I love smelling good. Being aromatically dressed, tick! Love massaging oils onto my skin. Massage, beauty treatment, skin care, tick! Now, that was enough...what not to like about essential oils? But wait!...... You even can cook with them! Just make sure they are 100% pure, Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade!


I have been experimenting using my oils in different recipes. It is fabulous that if I don't have lemon, basil, rosemary, lemongrass or other herbs at home fresh, I still can prepare that recipe! I almost wanted to write that it turns out better than with herbs... The flavour is definitely more intense even from 1-2 drops of oil!

So, let's bake that apple poppy seed cake!

Ingredients
1 egg
100g sugar
100g flour
1 teaspoonful of bi-carb soda
100g ground poppy seed
1 grind of a lemon and a tea spoonful of the juice (you can replace the lemon juice and the grind with 2-3 drops of Lemon Essential Oil by doTerra)
100ml oil (coconut oil, melted butter, sweet almond oil, whatever you have home)
250ml sour cream
2 apples (grated on the larger cheese grater)







Method of preparation
Start the oven and preheat it to 180C. Line a baking spring form or a baking dish with baking paper.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl in the same order as they are listed  above. Pour the cake batter into the baking form and place it in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.

This recipe takes for me 40 mins in my oven. I find that many cakes collapse after taking them out of the oven because the middle is not properly baked, even when the pin test comes out clean. I tried an extra 10-15 mins extra baking time and it results in better consistency! Just make sure than you keep an eye on your cake and don't burn it! So I add another few minutes after the pin or the fork came out clean!

Tips:  In my family we put a tiny rum to almost every cake recipe! I started to follow this tradition and I like it better! A little alcohol makes almost every cake recipe taste better!
This cake is delicious with some vanilla custard, cream or raspberry sauce! True indulgence but you are worth it! And what are Sundays for if not spoiling yourself and your loved one!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Bartok, the Concerto and his Leukemia

I am reading a fascinating book by Hungarian-born Canadian author, speaker, and retired physician with a special interest in childhood deve...

Fibonacci